VOCR
13 September, 2009
Kuala Lumpur
by Salai C C,

A Chin refugee’s woman in Puchong formally known as Sung Sung was sexually harassed by the two police at local time 11:00 AM on 08, August, 2009 while she was shopping at Mini Market near from her house in Banda Putri, Puchong.

Ms. Sung Sung is a housewife and she has eight months old child. She was recognized refugee and she had done medical check up under UNHCR schedule for refugees. The incident was happened on day time while the husband was working at different palace.

She said that the two polices without uniform came to our block and they called me and asked me to show Malaysian IC. Because I am not local woman and as I have nothing to show I take-out the UNHCR card and I show them. But the two polices were laugh at me and saying this card is useless and you can do nothing with this card inside our country. They onboard me inside the car and the Malay man flirted my whole body.

Not only the Malay man flirt my whole body but also asked me to show my wallet which contains RM 38 and he took ten Ringgit. He also scolded me and asked me to bring them at my home, but later on, his fellow prohibited him to do so. After his fellow advised him not to be done I was released from this cruel ordeal.

“Even though we the Chin refugee women are not involved at prostitution we have encountered sexual harassment. I am very shameful with my husband. I don’t like all the Chin refugee women to be encountered this kind of sexual harassment” she continued.


The Chin Refugee Committee (CRC) refers this case to UNHCR office and the UNHCR has done interview with Sung Sung regarding this matter. But they had not received any information from the UNHCR office yet.