VOCR
19 Aug, 2009,
Kuala Lumpur
by Salai C C,

Mr. Thang Uk, Chin refugee from Zephai village was beaten and robbed by the seven-people group of robbery on his way to home from his friend apartment. On 19 August evening, he went to his friend apartment to inquire for working with him as he is currently unemployed. But unfortunately, he encountered with the gang on his way back to home.

The victim said, “The gangsters stopped me and the one who is believed to be Malaysian Chinese approached me and stabbed me with a knife, asking do you want to die. But fortunately, I covered with my left hand and I am not wounded seriously”.


Mr. Thang Uk was recognized as refugee in 2008 and was issued the UNHCR card (Ref No. 354- 08C 4788) on August 17, 2009. When he was attacked by the gangsters they robbed his UNHCR card and wallet including (RM 170) as well.

Not only Mr. Thang Uk but also many chin refugees had been attacked and two chin refugees Mr. Tluang Hei who was volunteer able for chin refugee and Mr. Duh Hnin, 7 years old CSO student, were hit by the car to death in this area where Mr. Thang Uk was attacked.