VOCR
March 10, 2009, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

When a person was registered by UNHCR office normally he was given another appointment date for RSD (Refugee Status Determination interview) after six months. It was obvious that early this year many asylum-seekers were reappointed for their RSD interview after they waited six month.

A Chin refugee old man who came to UNHCR office from a distance place in Malaysia – Sitiawang, Perak State said, "I was registered in last year August. My appointment date for RSD is today. I came to UNHCR office at 8:00am in the morning and waited
till over 3:00 pm. Without interviewing me and telling me any reasons I was only told that my RSD interview is postponed to another six months."

It is believed that UNHCR in Malaysia is lack of man power that causes unnecessary delay of processing for refugees.