VOCR
March 15, 2009
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
ACTS clinic has started running a new programe for pregnant refugee women. The Clinic has special time on every Saturday from 9 am to 1 pm only for the pregnant refugee women. The clinic will referpregnant women to the government hospital formaternity.

Pregnant women used to go to government hospitals or clinics near by their residents where they received medical treatment as well as medical book that indicates one’s pregnancy. However, since two weeks ago, those clinics and hospitals have not been accepting pregnant refugee women. They have been told to go to ACTS clinic at Brickfield in KualaLumpur.

Chin refugee weekly newsletters have announced the information about changing the place for the pregnant women to have medical treatment during their pregnancy.

ACTS clinic is known as the only clinic in Malaysia that works directly with UNHCR office. Vulnerable patients referred by ACTS for registration have opportunity to be registered as asylum-seekers at UNHCR office.

The government hospitals (MCHs) and clinics used to issue a medical book, for each pregnant woman that is useful to have registration as asylum-seekers in UNHCR office.

Aye Aye, a refugee woman from Burma said, “I went to Bahagian MCH at Jalan Hang Tuah, but I was told that they no longer accept refugee women there and told me to go to ACTS clinic. Actually,ACTS clinic is quite far from my resident, I need to take monorail. I would prefer to go to hospital or clinic near by my resident, but it is impossible for me, now.”